Looking to give back to your community in a meaningful way, leveraging your unique skill set? Would you enjoy a volunteer opportunity to provide strategic leadership for a nonprofit advocating for all children to thrive emotionally, mentally, and physically?
Child Advocates – Denver CASA is currently seeking interested individuals to join our Board of Directors. Denver CASA trains community volunteers from diverse backgrounds to advocate for the bests interests of children, who have experienced abuse or neglect, in the pursuit of safe and permanent homes. A qualified candidate will be passionate about our mission and can offer their time, expertise, and make a real commitment to our Board.
Member of the Board of Directors Job Description
Child Advocates – Denver CASA advocates for the best interests of children who have experienced abuse or neglect by training diverse volunteers who create opportunities for children, youth and families to thrive. We envision a world where all children are thriving emotionally, mentally, and physically with lifelong connections to caring and responsible adults, a permanent home and a safe and nurturing environment where they have a sense of belonging.
The Board will support the work of Denver CASA and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by Denver CASA’s Executive Director (ED), the Board-ED relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serve as a trusted advisor to the ED as they develop and implement Denver CASA’s strategic plan
- Review outcomes and metrics created by Denver CASA for evaluating its impact, and regularly measure its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; review agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approve Denver CASA’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; stay informed of, and meet all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Assist the ED and Board President in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Leverage connections, networks and resources to help fully achieve the organization’s mission
- Partner with the ED and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serve on committees or task forces and take on special assignments
- Represent Denver CASA to stakeholders; act as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensure Denver CASA’s commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive board and organization where everyone can participate and feels a sense of belonging
Denver CASA Board Members will consider Denver CASA a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that Denver CASA can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, Denver CASA expects to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution.
Denver CASA’s Board Members will serve a two-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for three additional terms. Board meetings will be monthly, 10 months of the year.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about Denver CASA’s mission. Ideal candidates will have many of the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- Personal or professional experience with the child welfare system
- Prior involvement with Denver CASA
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of Denver CASA’s children
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging:
Denver CASA continues to build a diverse and inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the distinct voices of our employees, volunteers, board members and children served. We want every Board Member to feel valued and appreciated and bring their full authentic selves to our organization.
Service on Denver CASA’s Board of Directors is without remuneration.
If you are interested in applying to be a member of the board, please email [email protected] for an application.